…Like, I’m an Indie model and I want to get paid. Now what?
INDEPENDENT MODEL WANTS TO MAKE MONEY – MUST READ*
1. Do you have a modeling teacher, coach, or mentor? This is not about being a pretty face and taking pictures. This is a professional career and craft that might take over 10 years to develop.
a. Take the critiques of people that know what they're talking about very seriously and make the adjustments that they suggest. Who cares how you FEEL, just do it. You might actually learn a lot about yourself and your technique.
2. Do people in your local area BUY your photos or merchandise? Do they hire you for gigs, promos, or photography sessions? Are you selling any content? Are people requesting your merchandise? What have they asked for? Where can you get items produced? What is the cost? Will you be shipping?
3. What is your Brand? What IS a Brand? When your NAME comes up, what idea should pop into a person’s mind? WHO are you? (Time for research) You must DEVELOP, PROMOTE, and MARKET yourself. This means a LOT more than Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. What are the best sites for working models?
4. Do you know what the below terms actually mean when it comes to the MODELING industry: Marketing, eCommerce, Promotions, Digital Distribution, Publishing, Licensing, Intellectual Property and Copyright Protection?
(Do some research on successful indie models that you follow. How do they do it?)
a. Do you READ BOOKS that can educate you on your industry? Do you read about those subjects daily? Are you obsessed with learning about the MODELING BUSINESS? You NEED to be. *Brains& Beauty = Higher chance of SUCCESS
5. Have you ever talked to an entertainment law attorney? Look for one and email them. Do you know if you “own” the photos that other photographers have taken of you? Do you know any Modeling managers that are currently working in the industry? If so, what degree of success have they achieved?- Meet the RIGHT people.
6. Do you have phenomenal talent? …..Your talent has to be better than: MEH, better than GOOD, and better than GREAT too!! Are your fans left in awe every time you post a blog or photograph? If the CEO of ELLE magazine or MAXIM Magazine saw you right now, would that person be impressed by your full package? (Social Media, Body, Face, Community involvement, work history, future plans, etc..?) Are you ready?
Is your work remarkable? REMARK-ABLE. Do you offer anything different than other models?
7. Does your social media look like some of your favorite model’s sites? Are your social media sites updated regularly, and with the correct information? Is the content interesting and professional? Do you have an online audience that engages with your posts? Have they ever bought anything from you?
a. Run your social media like a business runs their social sites. You are here to make money; are your posts generating income? If not; why not? Do you have a marketing and branding campaign that you stick with?
8. Are you highly motivated, dedicated, and willing to work harder than the next model? How? Do you have a plan? What is your daily plan? What do you consider “working” when you’re trying to build your company?
a. Are you using your time effectively? Ask yourself at the end of each day, "If I was the CEO of my modeling company, based on my performance today, would I hire myself again tomorrow?"
9. Do you follow-up after meeting new people? Have you emailed EVERY person that has given you a business card with a proposal to create content for them? Are you networking with the proper people? Are you networking correctly? How are you offering to help them? What are you asking for?
The above steps are over 10 years of experience in social media and working with indie models. Shortcuts do not exist; you must do the work to achieve success. This blog should serve as a guide to help a new model get on track with creating income for themselves. FOLLOW the steps for a good start.
Please feel free to contact me with any further questions or to set up a consultation. Thank you for taking a quick read.
George Ohan - U.S. Army veteran
Puerto Rico, 2015
"Building a better digital citizen, one person at a time."